Saturday, June 27, 2015
Thursday, May 28, 2015
We are very excited to be a part of this amazing event in Rockford, IL! There is over 120 vendors along with music in 3 stages, including a main stage with 3 very popular local bands playing all day! There will also be food vendors lining the Main Street area! Several food trucks & bakeries will be lined up and waiting to keep everyone happy & full...there is no need to bring a lunch!
Monday, May 11, 2015
LOOKING FOR A FURNITURE PAINT???? WHAT TO LOOK FOR BEFORE YOU DECIDE……
There are new paint lines popping up seems like almost daily! I paint a LOT of furniture. For the last five years I’ve painted over 1,000 pieces of furniture a year – by hand. There’s a lot I don’t know….but I DO know paint! I’ve used almost every line out there….and there are some great options available….but there are some things to look closely for before you choose a line…..i’m gonna share my vast knowledge here. =D
Most people assume that the new lines coming out are the chalk paint type…..no sanding and no priming necessary. This is NOT the case! There’s quite a bit of fine print on each product line out there that you really need to read before choosing a line.
We, here at Rethunk Junk, have a furniture paint line. We have worked hard to make it fabulous. It IS fabulous. We LOVE it! It’s NOT a chalk paint – no powder base to it at all. This sets us apart in some wonderful ways. I would never ever trash another product line – but it’s time for us to explain exactly how fabulous Rethunk Junk Furniture Paint is and why we formulated our own products!
Here are the questions we’re asked most often….
1. Can I really start my project without sanding?? I wish people would actually read the fine print on other paint lines. They say no sanding and no priming – and then have a whole page of instructions on what grit sandpaper to use when you don’t sand…..and what the best primer is for the no priming step. Really?? With our products, we have a cleaning product for you to use (the Prep) and then you really DON”T sand and you really DON”T prime!!! You jump in and paint.
2. Will it cover in one coat? You can always quit after one coat….if that’s the look you want. =D lots of lines that advertise one coat also have a lot of fine print on the dry time before you start your second coat. We tell you up front – it’s gonna be two coats. You want your piece to be beautiful? Two coats.
3. What’s the dry time with your products? There are more than a few lines out there that require 12 to 24 hours dry time….between coats….before you wax….before you glaze….before you touch it…..not us! There is no way on earth I could paint 1,000 plus pieces of furniture per year (and be the incredible spouse and mother and upstanding citizen I am) if our paint didn’t dry quick as a wink. Turn on a fan – and you can get your piece dry in 20-30 minutes tops! This is also what allows us to teach a paint class in two hours – you paint a piece of furniture in ours and take it home completed….most other lines allow you to complete an 8 inch piece of molding! They cant offer the furniture option because unless you bring jammmies, there isn’t time to complete it!
4. Do I have to wax my piece? Um…..we would like to respectfully scream NO!!! one of the main reasons we were driven to develop our own line was the issue of waxing. we have learned, after years of trying all options out there, that waxing is very labor intensive – no fun at all – and does not stay on your piece if you actually want to do something crazy like USE your piece. Our paint actually has sealer in it – so you can paint and be DONE!!! Want the look of waxing? We GLAZE our pieces. Super easy – super fast – and super beautiful! Our glaze also contains sealer – so you ‘re sealing as you glaze….We also have a clear sealer that allows you to mix a custom glaze with any of our 20 paint colors! And we offer a commercial grade polyurethane for sealing high use pieces.
5. What about all the special effects products? Crackle? Dust? Plaster? Etc We have purposely kept our line fast and simple! Want those looks? Grab the product at a craft store and go for it….our products are compatible with those….but remember….if it takes them 2 hours to demo that technique on a small piece of molding…..how long will it take you to get that look on a piece of furniture?
6. How safe are your products? We have giggled at the “safe” products out there that recommend specific types of face masks and gloves and actually warn of the risk of respiratory issues – tell you to make sure you’re working in a well ventilated area – allude to health risks….it’s kindascary. Our products have virtually no odor at all….arecompletely safe to use – all water based – and my kids even swear one of our colors tastes like egg nog. (yes – they tasted it! I wouldn’t say they are perfectly fine – but I am quite sure they were a little off BEFORE the taste test -!)
7. What brushes should I use? We just recommend a nice quality brush. No expensive options for sale by us….justuse a good brush.
Bottom line? We LOVE to paint – we want you to LOVE to paint. We want your experience to be a positive one…..so whether you choose our product line (great choice) or another one…..please read ALL the fine print and make sure you’re getting what you THINK you’re getting!
Wednesday, May 6, 2015
Let us help you with your gift gifting needs. It's that time of year, Mother's Day, Weddings, Graduations, Confirmations, Anniversaries, Birthdays and Your Day! Treat yourself! We have so many unique and one of a kind decor and gifts.
Wednesday, April 8, 2015
Friday, April 3, 2015
|Happy Easter Weekend!|
Well spring is finally here and we have some fun new things in the shop.
Come in and help us CELEBRATE our 2nd Anniversary the week of April 8th-12th!! We will have an awesome drawing and specials throughout the shop.
We still have openings for our April 9th Paint Workshop. It starts at 6:30 and you will finish a piece of furniture you bring in. :)
For more information on the workshops please visit our blog and click on Rethunk Junk Tab.
Our hours are the same:
Debbie, Tammy & Kay